Lots of people love Indian food, and recently it has been discovered that the turmeric found in curry has tremendous health benefits. But what do you do if you don’t like hot, spicy foods? Try turmeric! It is the main ingredient in curry, but instead of being hot and spicy, it is mild and flavorful. It is a good addition to many everyday dishes – not just Indian food.
Turmeric rhizome and powder, photo by Simon A. Eugster.
Curry powder is not actually an Indian invention. In India, good cooks choose individual spices carefully to create curry dishes. However, when the British occupied India, they wanted to create a fast and easy way to bring curry spices home to Britain, so they came up with the idea of a pre-mixed curry powder.
This notion is what most of the commercial curry powders you find in the store today are based upon. The spices are standard and include a lot of additions to the basic turmeric. In a pre-mixed curry powder, you will usually find paprika, mace, cloves, nutmeg, saffron, red pepper, fenugreek, cardamom, curry leaves and turmeric. These are all good spices for both flavor and health; however, turmeric is arguably the best of all of them.
Turmeric has a long history as a main ingredient in the folk medicines of Asia and India. Recently, it has been scientifically proven to have cancer fighting properties and has been touted as one of the best antioxidants. Additionally, it has been shown to help dissolve the plaque build up in the brain that causes Alzheimer’s. Turmeric is also a good weight loss aid in that it helps increase the metabolic rate and assists in burning calories more efficiently.
The great things about adding turmeric to your daily diet are that it is easy, inexpensive and delicious! You can use turmeric in all recipes that list curry powder as an ingredient. Just make a straight substitution. No adjustment in measuring is necessary. Turmeric can also be added to many common food items to perk them up and make them both healthful and delicious.
Try these 10 quick, easy tips for adding turmeric to your life:
1. One of the quickest and easiest ways to add turmeric to your daily routine is to add inexpensive yellow mustard to any sandwich or other quick food. The less expensive brands use turmeric for coloring and also tend not to have chemicals and artificial ingredients added.
2. Set a turmeric shaker on your table and try it on all kinds of foods. You will be surprised to see how many common foods come alive with turmeric! Pork, chicken and fish dishes go very well with turmeric, and it adds a nice, robust color to these foods.
3. Vegetables also get a flavor boost from turmeric. A few sprinkles added while cooking transform homely veggies like cauliflower and cabbage into exotic dishes. For bright veggies like carrots and squash, turmeric will enhance both the flavor and color of a dish.
4. Any time you are preparing eggs – from deviled to quiche – add some turmeric! It is an excellent flavor compliment.
5. If you have an ulcer, buttermilk is a great natural treatment. Adding a shake of turmeric to your ice cold buttermilk adds flavor and helps soothe and heal your tummy!
6. A shake of turmeric is surprisingly good in hot chocolate!
7. Make yourself an easy night-time toddy with turmeric, honey and warm milk. Just a shake or two of turmeric in the bottom of a mug, a squeeze of honey and a cup of hot milk makes a relaxing way to end your day.
8. Any grain will benefit from an addition of a teaspoon of turmeric to the cooking pot. Along with a teaspoon of butter or peanut oil, turmeric is a very healthful addition to rice, couscous, quinoa or any other grain you choose to prepare. Some people even add a dash to oatmeal!
9. Pasta tossed with olive oil, garlic, and turmeric makes a delicious and healthy side dish. Added to macaroni and cheese, turmeric is simply delicious and nutritious.
10. Soups, stews, lentils, beans, and meals cooked in the slow cooker are all better with a teaspoon or more of turmeric.
You can add pure turmeric powder to your daily meals by buying it affordably in bulk from:
You are sure to appreciate the fast, friendly service and the high quality supplements you will find at Pure Bulk!